Oh, right. I have a stupid blog-type thing. I forgot.
Sorry. As you might have surmised, the new job has basically taken over my life. The good news about this is that I'm now actually bringing home (or will be, if/when they actually start to pay my invoices) enough money that we can afford such niceties as water and electricity. The bad news is that they expect me to actually be focused and productive while I'm there, which is entirely unreasonable and cuts deeply into my fucking-around time. Hence: lack of updates here.
Having said that, it's still been a remarkably action-packed... um... (jesus, how long has it been since I really posted here? clicking "view weblog"... uh oh.) year and a half since we've talked, I probably should update you on a couple of things.
1. I'm on vacation! Boo-fuckin'-ya, dudes! To be more precise, we're now lost in the wilds of deepest, darkest Vermont, where the cows run free through the Green Mountains like wild horses through the fields... where cheddar falls like rain from the sky... where the screams of Howard Dean still reverberate through the valleys... and where I awaken each morning to the sight of The Biggest Spider in Vermont, who lives in an enormous web just outside the front door of our rental place, apparently eats crows and squirrels, and who raises his coffee cup in tribute to greet me each day. (He prefers Green Mountain coffee, naturally.)
We're currently in day 4 of said vacation, and thus far things are going swimmingly. We've driven halfway across the state on a pilgrimage to the Ben & Jerry's global HQ, where my kids proceeded to eat about 14 gallons of ice cream apiece; stopped in for samplers at three different brewpubs (Harpoon in Windsor, Long Trail in Bridgewater Corners and Madison in Bennington); taken the kids swimming in the complex pool every freakin' day (hence my chlorine-reddened eyes... no, I haven't gone all Redman on ya); and discovered that once you buy a Simmons Beautyrest mattress for your home, it's kinda hard to go back to a crappy mattress anywhere else.
On tap for the remaining few days: a gondola ride up to the peak of one of the many local ski mountains, where we'll abandon the kids and let nature take its course; another long drive north to explore the wonders of cosmopolitan Burlington (which also, as it happens, is home to Magic Hat); and - take a deep breath, folks - lunch with The Jonniker. Tomorrow. That's right: I'm dining with the Jesus of blogging. And - AND - her beautiful daughter Samhain! Obviously, she'll be horrified by my wife and children, but I think that'll give her a better appreciation of just how much I've had to overcome to become the smashing success I am today.
2. Meanwhile, I've been quite busy elsewhere. In case you've missed it, I've also typed here:
- DadCentric, where I covered some of the highs and lows of DadCinema
- DadCentric, as my girls abruptly discovered the difference between boys and girls
- DadCentric, where I pondered... well, where I got ponderous
- DadCentric, where I talked about how I'm slowly poisoning my children
- I also did a whole bunch of stuff at MamaPop, including deeply thoughtful and poignant discussions of movies with sharks, movies made from comic books, the finale of The Bachelorette, and Shark Week. Apparently, I have something of a fascination with sharks. Who knew. I also overwrote for several MamaPop Roundtables, which you can search out if you're feeling like being that comprehensive.
On the off-chance you're keeping track, I post on Thursdays at DadCentric and Wednesday afternoons (it used to be Tuesdays) at MamaPop.
3. I've also found myself at ground zero of another interwebs project - currently under construction - in which I am the extra-chipper member of an unholy trinity that will... well, at the very least, hopefully provide you with a new and diverting way to waste time. Further updates as events warrant.
4. I've read boatloads of cool stuff recently, but as it's 8:15pm during a vacation week and I've just downed half a bottle of something delicious, you'll forgive me if I've temporarily forgotten something remarkable:
- Sweetney captures an immutable truth about the reality of being a parent in radiant and terrible form — I said it before and I'll say it again: the last three sentences of this should be inscribed in stone.
- Whit gets drunk and lyrical. Includes terrifying raccoon footage -- prepare yourself.
- Jessica has a phone adventure. Possibly the funniest thing I've read this year.
- Mr. Big Dubya brings us the second installment - at long last - of his memories of being a military newbie.
- TheBHJ talks (in brief) about his BlogHer experience, including a close encounter with Jen Lancaster that makes me twitch with awkwardness and yet laugh at the same time, given that I just (last night) finished one of her books.
5. This had somehow slipped my mind earlier, but in case you're not aware PICKET WROTE A BOOK AND WANTS YOU TO BUY AND LOVE IT. Click for details and to stop her from harassing me.
6. Your video for the week: in honor of TheHurricane and Jonniker, who have both grown to love this band through the same relentless pressure I'm now exerting on you, I bring you The Brother Kite's "I'm Not The Only One" from their jaw-droppingly incredible CD Waiting For The Time To Be Right — which you should go out and buy as soon as you finish enjoying this song.