1. Okay, so first off... we got a new bed. Our first new mattress since we moved to San Francisco. In 1995.
(a brief pause, as I nostalgically remember my life without kids)
In any case, it was time. The mattress was sagging on the edges, riddled with crevasses within, and no matter how many times we flipped it our feet ended up being 6" higher than our head when we slept. So last weekend, as a kind of mutually-beneficial Father's Day thing, we went bed shopping... and on Tuesday, a brand spankin' new Simmons Beautyrest was delivered to our home. And honestly? It's fucking marvelous. I didn't realize that it was possible for humans to sleep this comfortably.
2. Speaking of Father's Day, this week the guys at DadCentric gave themselves a gift by talking our wives into writing our posts for us. If you'd like to see TheWife's handiwork, clickez-vous. Read 'em all, while you're at it.
3. In other bed-and-family related news, allow me to paraphrase the Thompson Twins: Lice, Lice, Lice... yeah! The scourge of lice has apparently been making its way through my daughters' daycare for several weeks, and yesterday it was our day in the barrel: I got the dreaded "Come get Rabbit; she has lice" phone call. Said phone call was then followed by a joy-filled pickup of one of those drugstore lice death kit packages - replete with the old checkout lady giving Rabbit a dirty look as she rang it through - and then several hours of covering the wee sweet creature's head with multiple coats of medicated shampoo, medicated goo, carefully administered showers, intricate and time-consuming fine-toothed combing adventures, nitpicking (literally! not figuratively!), and subsequent washing of everything in my fucking house that might have conceivably touched her head at any point in the past week or so.
Good times, and yes: TheWife and I are now consumed by constant, compulsive psychosomatic all-over-body-scratching. Urk.
4. One not-entirely unfortunate byproduct of said infestation is the fact that we now have an excuse not to go to New York this weekend for a wedding that - to be honest - we weren't entirely psyched to attend in the first place. Not that we didn't want to see our friends who'll be there, but more because our ability to attend was predicated on another stay with our in-laws... and their giant dog. Probably just as well that we're staying home.
5. Coincidentally, yesterday was also the date of the girls' 4yo pediatrician checkup. Which comes complete with 4 shots at the end. For those of you doing the math: 2 girls x 4 shots = yikes. Rabbit (newly-cleansed of lice) was pretty brave, and cried only a bit at the end. Butterfly? Sweet, sensitive, brilliant Butterfly? With God as my witness: she started LAUGHING when the fourth needle was stuck in her arm.
The girl's a f$#%ing supervillain-in-training.
6. A coupla things worth checking out, should you find yourself with a bit'o'time and curiosity:
- Woman in a Window brings the thinky
- Jessica has the kind of nudity/funeral party experience you thought only happened in movies
- cIII waxes lovely about summertime
- Suzanne Finnamore adds some insight to her fantastic novel Split (which you should read) (after you finish her two earlier books) (seriously)
7. Finally, I leave you with a little music from the late and much-lamented Aerogramme. It kills me that I didn't discover these guys until 2 1/2 years after they broke up... why didn't you tell me about them? That's right: I know you knew. I know you were holding out. And I will have my vengeance... in this life, or the next.